It’s important to take certain details and information into consideration when searching for a closed captioning and video transcription vendor. As this process should be performed using a specific technology and user interface, we have combined 5 questions and answers which we feel will guide your decision in choosing an appropriate vendor.
1. How accurate are your transcripts and captions? The first question to ask yourself is what is the average accuracy rate of the vendor you are considering. Ultimately, if transcripts and captions are incorrect, they do not serve the purpose of which they were intended.
Leading online video platform, YouTube, provides their own speech recognition captioning service named “automatic captions” which has a 60-70% accuracy rate, which means that 1 out of 3 words are wrong. This is significantly lower than the standard Verbit has set with a a 99% accuracy rate.
It’s also worth finding out whether or not vendors can still reach a high accuracy level irrespective of volume limitations, accents, poor audio quality, background noise, and complex vocabulary; all of which make providing an accurate transcription all the more difficult. Bare in mind that, within education, providing content that reaches maximum accuracy is highly important in regards to students with disabilities such as deafness, learning disabilities, or hearing impairments.
Other aspects of accuracy to take into consideration are:
SEO - this is specific where quotes have been taken out of transcribed text in order to rank higher in Google.
Consistency - are your vendors consistent in maintaining accuracy despite the size or number of videos?
Caption quality standards - do the processes comply with FCC, ADA, and the Rehabilitation Act requirements?
2. What is your turnaround rate? In today’s day an age, its safe to say that human beings lack patience. With almost everything being accessible at our fingertips, gone are the days of having to wait up to 5 working days for results. Rather, with Verbit, you could wait as little as 3 hours for any video/audio length. How long does it take your vendor to transcribe a snippet of audio? While most vendors propose the same day turn around time as Verbit, this can actually vary depending on the size and quality of the media file. Generally, there are three main turnaround options. There are standard turn around rates, selective turnaround rates wherein the rate depends on budget and other factors, and extended turnaround where you can prolong the process. However, it is key to note here that captioning companies are notorious for missing deadlines, so be sure to ask about their track record and policies for remedying late files
3. What is your process ? Its not OK if vendors are not giving you visibility into their process, especially while it is being done. Visibility would definitely benefit you, in order for you to have control over what you are paying for and the end result. Find out what your vendors are doing and get a grasp of how they manage your files as this will give you an accurate expectation of both the expected turnaround time and also the accuracy rate of your transcriptions. Verbit uses a transparent, three layer hybrid to provide the most accurate transcriptions at breaking-record speeds. So, please be clear on what your vendor is doing at any given time with your media files.
4. Price ? The cost of transcription service is an important matter to everyone and everyone wants to get the best bang for their buck. What is your vendor offering and does the pricing make sense , especially when considering the results you'll get? This question sounds like common sense, right? Well, you’d be surprised at the number of people who choose low-cost over accuracy resulting in poorly written transcripts and captions for a seemingly lower price. Be absolutely clear on the pricing model, how and when you will be charged as well as when to expect invoices etc. Also, what are the value propositions the vendor is offering and are there discounts for different volume? Other questions one should ask is does the vendor offer customized special offers, how do the price ranges differ from competitors, and does the vendor offer a near perfect level of accuracy.
5. Other Considerations Take into account many other factors that the vendor is offering you? What makes their solution the best on the market? For example, do they utilize artificial intelligence and how does their artificial intelligence actually give them an edge? Verbit’s answer to this is that our AI layer is a function of our experience in the field and offers a unique service for improved specified speech recognition which results in higher and faster accuracy.
So there you have it! 5 important questions to ask vendors when shopping for captioning and video transcript services.